Product: Snow Device Manager
New version: 5.5
Release date: March 16, 2017
Distribution: Installation media
Current status: Released to hosted environments
Snow mobility manager for Service desk
SDM 5.5 introduces SMM for Service Desk, a new role in SMM aimed at Service Desk users who do not need the full-feature interface of the manager. The following features will be available in SMM with SDM 5.5:
- Start page with Search/Filter/Find item (user and device in this release)
- View and edit user with related devices
- View and edit device
- Device actions:
- Re-enroll device
- Delete (Archive) device
- Wipe (full wipe)
- Push (self-service) package to device
- User actions:
- Add device to user
- Reset password (only for native users)
- Lock (self-service/app store enrollment)
- Edit phone number
- New user guide for SMM for Service Desk
SMM is available from SDM 5.5 and onwards as a part of the server installation.
New Snowboard widgets
The following widgets have been added to the Snowboard:
- Device life cycle management – enrolled and archived devices, historically
- Tampered devices
- Rejected devices
Server Notifications in manager
This release introduces a system for server notifications in SDM. A new widget on the Snowboard will inform users about relevant server notifications. A list of notifications is also available via the "View" menu option.
In future SDM releases, the notification system will be used by many additional processes. Initially it supports certificate expiry notifications, which have previously been communication via email to the Snow support inbox, leading to missed certificate expirations as users quit or changed role.
With SDM 5.5, all device backup functionality has been removed.
The following new features have been added to Snow Device Manager 5.5:
Manager UX improvements
Usability of Snow Device Manger has been improved in release 5.5 with the Snowboard as the default entry point to the system, providing a widget-based domain overview for all users. The Snowboard is now a permanent tab pinned to the leftmost position on the work area.
Device, user, and application lists columns have been reduced to a default minimum while some obsolete state icons have been removed. Summary pie charts have also been removed to provide space for device details in the list.
Package step reduction for android
To simplify configuration of Android packages, the following reductions and improvements have been made:
- General wording improvements and completion on many packages.
- Password Policy (Windows) removed from Ribbon Bar to Package step
- Hiding "Advanced fields" on the following package steps:
- Wi-Fi package step
- Samsung Exchange Provisioning
- Remove file path in "Copy file" package step
- Install application from Google Play
- Install App
- Set Wallpaper
- Time/Date settings
- Open URL
- Show a toast
- Upload file
- Apply license key (nitrodesk)
- Delete file
- Execute file
Based on feedback from our customers, the following improvements on DEP configurations have been implemented:
- Notification and automatic update of DEP-profiles – all DEP devices on the domain are updated with default profiles on acceptance.
- AD-Validation of username on DEP enrollment if "enforce authentication" is set on DEP service
- New "Full Synchronization" option to DEP-service
The following defects have been corrected in Snow Device Manager 5.5. ServiceNow ID within parenthesis:
- Errors with registration link for windows 10 pro no longer occur (0001366)
- Enrollment of Windows Phone 8.1 devices no longer fails (0023645)
- Windows 10 Azure Enrollment no longer works intermittently (0001423)
- Fortum - Custom data now correctly displayed in SDM Manager (0001457)