The best way to create a template to upload data into custom fields is to build the template from the data within License Manager. Once the template is created the Snow Import Service can be used to automatically gather data that is updated or changes from 3rd party systems.
You would like to add a physical asset tag to each computer. This physical asset tag is a bar code number provided by a 3rd party scanning utility. The 3rd party bar code software prints each bar code and has a record of the bar code number and the machine it is applied to. To automatically ingest this data into License Manager you would follow the below steps.
- Create the custom field for the "Bar Code" in License Manager.
- Create the import template from the "List All Computers" list.
- For a manual upload you can copy and paste the list of bar code that correspond to each computer name or serial number to the Excel document.
- For a automated approach, a CSV, XML, r Excal file will need to be generated from the 3rd party Bar Code utility. If this file can be generated and placed in a network location you can configure the Snow Import Service to automatically digest the file as they are sent to the directory. See below.
- The data placed in the new export directory will be imported immediately when posted to the directory. For a manual upload see below.
- Now when you use a hand held scanner pluged into a laptop or tablet you can instantly bring up any system in License Manager by scanning the physical asset tag.