Advocate of the Month - January 2018

Document created by Dennis.Smith Employee on Jan 1, 2018
Version 1Show Document
  • View in full screen mode

MarkPotts, SKY

Advocate Level: SNOW GURU

Advocate of the Month: January 2018

I work for Sky as an Inventory Tools Developer and spearhead strong and experienced teams in driving Sky’s ITAM technical capabilities and processes.  I’ve been a consultant working with inventory tools for almost 30 years now and have been involved with the Snow products for over two years.
At Sky we have a split between the technical and the SAM team, I am the technical owner for the Snow products. I dig under the covers and understand most technical aspects of how the Snow products work, but I don’t have a lot of licensing knowledge.
Due to the nature of the multiple products that make up the Sky business and supporting platforms the technologies involved can be diverse, complex and pose considerable challenges for ITAM projects of this type in terms of both their technical and cultural adoption. I designed and engaged the vendors in a comprehensive Proof of Concept. Snow and iQuate were selected as the vendors to meet our needs.
I’ve worked closely with all the involved teams in developing custom scripts and reports (some of which I’ve shared for your benefit on the Snow License Manager page) to make our processes more efficient.
I’ve also been looking at where we can best implement automated processes – for example, using Snow Automation Platform to deliver software re-harvesting. The workflow manages all stages of the re-harvesting process, identifying potential targets, communicating with users, integrating with the appropriate deployment toolsets to perform the uninstall, monitoring for success, tracking reinstallations and reporting on cost benefits. This process has begun to deliver significant cost savings and additional benefits.
Away from work my hobbies are posting on Snow Globe…  but when not in work mode, I love walking, geocaching (Google it if you don’t know what it is), listening to music, and of course as I work for Sky watching films and box sets.
8 people found this helpful

Attachments

Outcomes