Advocate of the Month - February 2018

Document created by Dennis.Smith Employee on Feb 1, 2018
Version 1Show Document
  • View in full screen mode

Mark.WaltherXylem, Inc.

Advocate Level:  Snow Pro

Advocate of the Month February 2018

I work for Xylem, Inc., which is a leading Global Water Technology provider. We have over 16,000 global employees in ~350 global locations doing business in  150+ counties on 6 continents. Xylem’s moto is “We Solve Water”; this includes everything from building and selling smart pumps, providing dewatering solutions and water analysis, to advanced water treatment.  I have been with Xylem, Inc., which spun off from ITT Corporation in 2011, for over 24 years.

I have held a lot of positions within IT, with the most interesting being that of Asset Management. When I started in this position in 2010 there were no policies, no processes and no tools to support any kind of Lifecycle or Asset Management.  It was left to me to bring it all together and “make it work”. We had been using Excel file output from Altiris, which as everyone knows, takes a lot of time normalize data, remove duplicates and make the data worth looking at. By the time I had finished that process it was time to start over next month and nothing was ever done with the data.

After quite a few asset tool evaluations and trips to Sweden for demo meetings, the selection was made at the end of 2015 to go with SNOW, Finally! It was a long hard battle, but we got it. Now the fun started. I took over a year to get into a cycle of Asset Management, client deployment and discovery. Along with the SNOW clients for Windows we use the VMWare and SCCM connectors.

Since then we have acquired several medium to larger companies which has been an Asset Management challenge, but with SNOW it was as easy as deploying clients and watching the inventory data come in. Even the IT personnel that came with the new acquisitions were amazed at what SNOW could provide with little effort. They were not even aware of all the assets within their company until now.

We are now looking into implementing the ServiceNow connector as well as purchasing the AP (Automation Platform) product this year to support our re-harvesting process.

Away from work my hobbies include Cars and Guitars (listening and playing) as well as spending time with my grand-daughter. I am looking forward to the birth of my Grand-son in a few months.

5 people found this helpful

Attachments

Outcomes