Advocate of the Month - July 2018

Document created by Dennis.Smith Employee on Jul 1, 2018Last modified by Dennis.Smith Employee on Aug 1, 2018
Version 2Show Document
  • View in full screen mode

carola.iberl Global License Manager, DEKRA

Advocate of the month - July 2018 
Advocate Level: Snow Pro

I work for DEKRA SE at its headquarters in Stuttgart, Germany. DEKRA is one of the world's leading expert organizations, with a workforce of more than 44,000 people working in over 50 countries on five continents. DEKRA’s experts create increased safety across all the key areas of life, on the road, at work and at home. The vision for our company’s 100th birthday in 2025 is to see DEKRA as the global partner for a safe world.

I’ve been in IT for my whole working life in several positions. Since 2011 in addition to other tasks, I took on the role as a Global License Manager for the whole DEKRA Group, which has since become a full-time job!

Over the past few years, DEKRA has grown a lot through acquisition. Most of the acquired companies still have the responsibility of running their own IT systems. In 2010 our management board charged us to implement a license management for the whole enterprise. At that time, we had Excel lists for a compliance overview in Germany, and we had absolutely no idea the compliance positions in all the companies we have across the globe.  

The first idea was to implement SAM process within our existing German ITSM tool, but we quickly learned that we need a specialized solution. In 2011 we introduced Snow Inventory and Snow License Manager. With support from the management really helped along with and a sudden Microsoft audit which forced us to quickly implement Snow worldwide. Our companies got Snow Inventory Client msi-files from us which they had to install. Soon afterwards we got the hardware and software usage insight for each company. Adding the entitlement has been a bigger challenge and required more time, mostly to get the correct license documentation from each of our companies and then upload it into Snow.

Together with a colleague we then introduced processes for best practice SAM and are still finding potential to optimize our processes today.

During the past few years we had several audits with different manufacturers and with Snow License Manager they have been significantly easier to handle. For Microsoft we decided to do a yearly SAM recertification for the whole DEKRA group. That certificate prevents our international companies from doing a separate MS audit for one year. This year Microsoft already requested audits for six companies, which we’ve been able to stop from progressing.

We have a separate staging environment, where we generally test all our implemented software. There, for a number of years I’ve been conducting beta tests for several Snow applications that we have in use – it’s great to see and test out new functionality and having the opportunity to give feedback means I can exert a little influence on how the products develop.

In my private life I like to be outside in the nature or work in my garden. I also like animals, and from a young age I’ve been surrounded by birds, dogs, horses and cats.

7 people found this helpful

Attachments

Outcomes