Advocate of the Month - August 2018

Document created by Dennis.Smith Employee on Aug 1, 2018Last modified by Dennis.Smith Employee on Aug 1, 2018
Version 3Show Document
  • View in full screen mode

Huib, ICT Compliance Officer, Mammoet

Advocate of the month - August 2018 
Advocate Level: Snow Hero

I have been working for Mammoet (www.mammoet.com) for well over a decade. Mammoet is a global market leader in engineered heavy lifting and transport services, and is probably most known for salvaging the Russian nuclear submarine “The Kursk” back in the year 2000. Mammoet has 100+ offices spread out all over the world, including some very remote locations where any form of IT infrastructure is a big challenge. All offices are connected to three datacenters for their IT services.

I have held several different roles within IT over the years, but for the past four years, Software Asset Management has been my primary focus. Mammoet started in 2014 with a proof of concept with Snow License Manager as a hosted platform, to have a better understanding of its application landscape. Since that time, the organization has insight in its software contracts and license usage, enabling Mammoet to be in control.

From there we started to build on that, aiming to be more pro-active instead of reactive. We implemented the Snow Automation Platform looking to automatically reharvest unused licenses, to optimize our license usage and to save costs. Also, several connectors are in place (e.g. Office 365, TOPDesk, AD Discovery for VMware).

Snow is also used for security purposes, utilizing blacklisted application reports to prevent usage of file sharing apps or malware, to keep the IT environment as safe as possible.

We are looking to extract as much value from SAM as possible, and the different Snow products enable Mammoet to do that.

As for my personal life, I am married and have two kids. I have a broad spectrum of interests including movies, reading, music, playing video games, watching Formula 1 (go Max! J ) supporting my local football team Feyenoord,  working in my garden and tending to my bonsai trees.”

7 people found this helpful

Attachments

Outcomes