At some point in a Product lifecycle there comes a time for a bit of spring cleaning and therefore update(s) to server resources. However where it is deemed that a server move is necessary; how can this be achieved for the Snow Automation Platform databases, I hear you ask?
Well, this situation can be resolved using the following instructions:
- Take a full back up of the existing SnowAutmationPlatformAzman database (.bak)
- Take a full back up of the existing SnowAutmationPlatformDomain database (.bak)
- Restore each backup on the new database server (check Snow system requirements to ensure SQL server compatibility)
- Ensure that secuity logins are set up for the following accounts (replicate this from the source database security login setup, note that the account names may differ to the recommended naming convention used in the below example):
- Assign the above login accounts to the SnowAutomationPlatformDomain database user list in line with the source database user setup
- Assign only the required login accounts from the above list to the SnowAutomationPlatformAzman database user list in line with the source database user setup. Additionally, ensure that any AzMan users & roles are set up in the target instance, in line with the source database
- At the cut off date / time, proceed with the following steps:
- Stop AP website via IIS (stop corresponding AppPool)
- Change the x86 and x64 SQL Aliases on the corresponding AP application server to point to the the new SQL server (ensure that if a SQL instance is used on the new server, that this is also specified)
- Run a test ODBC connection confirming successful connection using the updated SnowAutomationPlatformSQLServer SQL Aliase
- Start AP website via IIS (start corresponding AppPool)
- Start a new browser session and test AP access
- Once access to AP is confirmed, ensure that there are active proesses attached to the new instance of SnowAutomationPlatformDomain database and SnowAutomationPlatformAzman database. This can be achieved from within SSMS.
- Proceed with disposing of the old SnowAutmationPlatformAzman database and SnowAutmationPlatformDomain database from the old SQL server in line with your company policy.
Feel free to add any comments / suggestions to improve the overall execution experience in this process.