AnsweredAssumed Answered

Why does the O365 connector need a user with administrative privileges in Office 365?

Question asked by gert-jan.kosterman@dllgroup.com Advocate on May 17, 2017
Latest reply on Jul 21, 2017 by mark.potts

Hi all,

Today I tried to configure the MS O365 connector in SIM 5.3 and for this I downloaded the sim53_userguide.pdf.

This shows:

3.3.18 MICROSOFT OFFICE 365

The MS Office 365 connector uses an API connection.

1. In the Snow License Manager Configuration section and in the API Endpoint box, type the URL to the Snow License Manager (SLM) Web API.

EXAMPLE

http://localhost/api

Page 33 of 48 SNOWSOFTWARE.COM

1. In the Port box, type the port of the SLM Web API.
  2. In the User Name and Password boxes, type credentials for a user account with access to the SLM Web API.
  3. Click Get customer. The Customer box is populated with the current SLM customer.
  4. In the Office 365 Configuration section and in the User Name and Password boxes, type user credentials for a user with administrative privileges in Office 365.
  5. To verify the connection, click Test connection.
  6. To include information on last logon time for Skype for Business and/or Exchange Online, click the check boxes.

NOTE

When information on last logon time is gathered for Exchange Online, data aggregation might be slow.

I have a question about item 5.: it states “type user credentials for a user with administrative privileges in Office 365” . But if I do not use the AP connection with the O386 connector why should I need administrative privileges? The O365 portal admin of us will not provide me such an account with that privileges that easy…  and I do understand why. If the user account needed cannot do with less privileges then I would like to know what kind of actions will be taken via this account? Since this question will be asked by the O365 portal admin too. I assume only queries and no inserts e.g.?

Can someone provide me some help on this?

Thanks,

Gert-Jan Kosterman.

Outcomes