AnsweredAssumed Answered

Computer Model Names

Question asked by Craig Moss Advocate on Jul 14, 2017
Latest reply on Aug 7, 2017 by rswain

Hello fellow Snow users!

Currently, the hardware models in Snow don't give us at a glance any real indiction of what the device is. For example, we have deployed Lenovo M92's. However, Snow reports this model as being 3229A11 which doesn't mean a whole lot.

I'm looking for a way to standardise this and bring the Snow models in line with what the organisation and other discovery tools know them as which will make for more accurate and clear reporting.

The only suggestion I can think of at this point would be to create a custom field (let's call it "custom model" for this example) and then importing the "M92" label against all devices with the corresponding model (3229A11).

This promises to be a very manual task though and would require periodically checking the estate for any new devices and subsequently applying that tag to them. in reality it probably wouldn't take THAT long but it would still be another overhead.

So my question is, can anyone think of a better way to do this? Is there something very simple that I have missed and I'm overthinking...

Thanks in advance!

Outcomes