AnsweredAssumed Answered

How can I get a correct Windows Server compliance calculation for Hyper-V hosts

Question asked by carola.iberl Advocate on Jun 27, 2019
Latest reply on Aug 8, 2019 by carola.iberl

Since SLM 9.2  I'm struggling with compliance calculation for Microsoft Windows Server hosts.
Snow changed the compliance calculation for Windows Server like mentioned in Ana's or Mikeal posts.

Windows Server licensing and Windows Server compliance changes, SLM 9.2.X

Unfortunately this is currently not very helpful, when the host itself has a Windows Server operating system and the virtual machines are also Windows Servers.

Let's take attached example Hyper-V host with Windows Server 2016 Standard (1 processor, 4 cores)and 2 VM's also Windows Server 2016 Standard
Windows Server 2016 Assessment report lists a 16x2 core pack required

I would only need a 8x2 core pack.

License tracking report shows a requirement for 32 cores, we assigned 16 cores, the computer is  shown as underlicensed (-16)

I already discussed that with Snow, and they agree that only 16 cores would be required.
They recommended to use Compliance exclusions for such hosts.

I did some tests, and then noticed, that this completely excludes the host and it's virtual machines. So when the host gets more virtual machines I would not see that I'm underlicensed. So I have a high risk to be not aware of compliance issues.

Have you also noticed that? And how do you handle this? Did I forget to configure anything?
Is there a way to get a correct license compliance report?

Outcomes