AnsweredAssumed Answered

License compliance / consideration of Microsoft’s 90 day rule

Question asked by Florian Advocate on Jul 11, 2019
Latest reply on Jul 11, 2019 by roger.jud1

Hello folks,

I am currently struggeling how Snow consider this rule in the license compliance and asking me how other customers has set the license settings for device and user based Microsoft licenses.

The general Microsoft rule applicable to both online services and on-premises products is that at least 90 days must elapse between license reassignments within a global organization. The rule provides extra wiggle room for situations involving permanent hardware failure or loss (device-based licenses) or termination of employment or temporary absence of a user (user-based licenses / online services).

I figured out that auditors will typically assess license compliance for client-side licenses by measuring the total number of unique devices or unique users that made use of the product over the past three months (high watermark).

To achieve this my understanding for user based licenses (most online services) is to set the license settings for applications according like this:

Does the community agree to this assumption? If yes I am asking me, why Snow doesn’t change the standard for this licenses from “system default (current month)" to continuous 90 days?

For device-based licenses, my understanding is that Snow is summarizing “only” actually installed applications -->  a high watermark over the past three months is impossible to calculate if first detected date of an application isn’t considered in the license compliance calculation.

Can someone from Snow please give a statement to this?

I am thinking about - with new multi metric feature for applications (since SLM 9.3.0) - setting up for device based licenses also a user based metric to track usage over the past 90 days. For cross-checking and better feeling - stupid idea?

Regards

Florian

Outcomes