AnsweredAssumed Answered

How do you configure for mixed estate of Installation/Processor based installs and Core based licenses with downgrade rights?

Question asked by chrislilley on Jul 29, 2019
Latest reply on Aug 1, 2019 by Samuel

What's the best way to set up metrics to ensure that licenses are correctly applied and reported on, when you have a mixed estate of software versions, and the licenses being applied are a mixture of both the same version, and a higher version with downgrade rights?

Example scenario

20 x Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard Physical servers

20 x Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard Physical Servers

Lets say I have half of these servers licensed with the equivalent license. So 10 x Windows Server 2008 R2 Std per install licenses and 10 x Windows Server 2012 R2 Std Per Processor Licenses (The servers in this case only need a single license per machine)

That leaves me with 20 unlicensed machines. Now if have 320 Windows Server 2016 Std Licenses per core licenses this is enough to cover each server.

But if the application is set to per installation or per processor, then not enough licenses are applied. If the application were to be changed to per core to match then the 2016 licenses would be applied correctly but now snow doestly like how the 2008/2012 licenses have been applied.

Am I doing something wrong or is SNOW not really optimized for mixed level licenses?

Outcomes