Mikko.Summala

Autodesk Agreements Best Practice

Discussion created by Mikko.Summala on Oct 24, 2017
Latest reply on Oct 26, 2017 by harri.carroll

After working with a number of large and medium sized Snow clients we noticed that most companies with many autodesk licenses struggle to manage both their agreements and licenses well. Autodesk are very strict in their licensing rules and require agreements and subsequently licenses to be allocated and restricted to BOTH legal entity and country/region (EU/EEA). This is best done in creating appropriate organizational entities in OU and setting up separate Master Agreements for perpetual and subscription agreements.

Autodesk agreements best practice

Unless a company already has a Purchase Master Agreement or Autodesk ETR (Extra Territory Rights) agreement, we recommend setting up TWO new master agreements:

1. Autodesk Perpetual License Agreements
  2. Autodesk Subscription Agreements

I call them usually "Autodesk-PL" and "Autodesk-Subs" for clarity.

The perpetual agreements need to cover the dates from the earliest (oldest license purchase) to well in the future. We generally use 1.1.2030 but you can adjust it to suit your other vendor agreements. Same applies for the Subscription Agreements. Each line in Autodesk Entitlement contains either a purchase contract (and possibly software maintenance contract) for perpetual licenses or the same contract data for a Term Limited (rental) software purchase contract that automatically contains a software maintenance agreement for the same rental period.

As each purchase (line in entitlement) now becomes effectively a separate contract I bulk load them under the "PL" or "Subs" contracts respectively and name them "Autodesk PL Agreement [Agreement number]" where I get the agreement number from the client's latest autodesk_entitlement with relevant maintenance valid dates and downgrade option captured too. More on these later in the Autodesk Best Practice document here Autodesk on-boarding and best practice .

On top of these I usually create another specific "Autodesk FPP" agreement under the Perpetual License Agreements for boxed retail products like AutoCAD LT, or any other older (legacy) software that might not display any longer on the Autodesk entitlement but are still valid licenses installed somewhere on the client's estate.

Outcomes