AnsweredAssumed Answered

How do you track MS SQL Server licensing?

Question asked by carola.iberl Advocate on Nov 7, 2017
Latest reply on Nov 20, 2017 by carola.iberl

I would be pleased to get some advice how to detect incorrect Microsoft  SQL Server licensing.
We have a lot of MS SQL server installations in a mixed environment. Some MS SQL servers are licensed by installation plus additional CAL's, other MS SQL servers are licensed per processor or core.

Let me use one example:
Two servers A (4 cores) and B (8 cores) have installed SQL Server 2012 Standard.
Server A has assigned a SQL Server 2012 Standard license per installation
Server B has assigned a SQL Server 2012 Standard Core license with only 4 cores.

The installed application on both servers is listed always as SQL Server 2012 Standard.
SRS cannot detect SQL Server 2012 Standard Core.
The license metric in that application is set to "based on installations", I can select only one license metric.

When I now check the license tracking report, then license requirement for SQL Server 2012 Std is always set to 1.
For server A the report lists requirement 1,  coverage 1 -> compliance 0, that's ok
For server B the report lists requirement 1,  coverage 1 -> compliance 0, but this server would need a 8 core license, is licensed only with 4 cores and therefore is underlicensed.

Do anybody has the same situation? How do you handle this to find the installatios that are not licensed correctly?
Is there perhaps a way to set the installed application to SQL Server 2012 Standard Core ?

We are on SLM 8.2.2.

Thank you for any hints.

Outcomes