Victoria.Barber2

Asset Management Best Practices

Discussion created by Victoria.Barber2 on Feb 6, 2018
Latest reply on Mar 2, 2018 by Yves

Some of you already know me, others may know of me, and some of you may be wondering who I am... so a bit about me first: 

I've just joined Snow following 8.5 years as a Gartner analyst leading research into the management of digital technology assets. Prior to that I spent 4.5 years IT Asset Manager at Centrica, and before that I managed IT assets and services for AA Publishing, where my interest in software asset management started as the result of a font audit (before that I edited travel guides and financial text books). 

I'm very excited about the challenges and opportunities ahead of me at Snow, and to that end, I'm reaching out to the community for help. I hope that we will shortly have a dedicated space for discussing best practices, away from the detail of licensing issues or product-specific discussions, but in the meantime I'd like to know what YOU all want to talk about.

Some of the topics that have been suggested so far include:

• ISO 19770-1:2017 - how to use the updated version of the standard (I'll be posting something on the Snow blog about this soon)
  • What assets should we be managing? The new ISO standard covers ITAM, not just SAM, but in a world of SaaS, Cloud, IoT & BYoD how do we decide where our responsibilities lie?
  • Managing entitlement - how are you approaching both the management of current purchases but also the need to deal with historic data?
  • What does good look like? Share your vision of what successful asset management would look like in your organisation. 

I'm sure that there will be lots more suggestions and ideas, and I look forward to hearing them!

Outcomes