My reports to Oracle now are missing from SLM.
any idea where i can found the problem ?
are you seeing any Oracle Management Option (OMO) data (e.g. reports, OSW or orders)?
I guess your key has been inserted correctly in the Web Configurator, right?
At least SLM tells us about 10 licenses and 4 instances in the database.
You are not on the latest version of SLM (8.3), but that should not be the problem.
Only thing I could imagine, that your user role in SLM is not allowed to see Oracle data.
In case that does not help, please just open a support ticket.
Good luck and best regards,
I check my user profile ( I use administrator), and dont see any problem here...
you can try to update to the latest version as Roland suggested. This might help, but if it does, we will not find the reason behind your issue. That's why I think, you should log a support ticket. A colleague will check your system and all the logs. If we find a cause, we can document that later.
Thanks and best regards,
please consider updating your SLM:
Then you can also find Oracle information under the new "Enterprise" tab:
Retrieving data ...