Craig Moss

Oracle Bought Java

Discussion created by Craig Moss Advocate on Jun 18, 2018
Latest reply on Aug 30, 2018 by matt.white

Afternoon Snowblowers! (still wondering what the correct collective should be for Snow users)

So, as many of you will already know, Oracle has purchased Java and as of January 2019 they intend to charge for it, or at least for Java SE 8 onwards.

https://www.itassetmanagement.net/2018/05/01/oracle-to-charge-for-java-from-jan-2019/?nabw=0&mc_cid=275014b038&mc_eid=b5… 

I brought this to the attention of senior management a while ago and nobody was aware of it. For something as potentially costly as this, for it to be flying under the radar so low is shocking.

You may be in a similar position to me wherein you are being approached by other areas of the business or indeed senior management themselves requesting various reports regarding Java usage. It's relatively straightforward to get a report of all machines running Java but as Software Asset Management, I believe that we need to be able to do better, provide more. It's simply not enough to say, Java is installed on these machines, go fix it. Java is so heavily tied into all kinds of things that understanding the ramifications of removing it is very difficult. How do we ascertain which applications are dependent on Java and which are not?

If I were to provide a report of, let's say, 5000 machines with Java installed, how am I to know (or anyone else for that matter) which other applications would be affected by a removal?

In a way this is something of a feature request or maybe someone has a great idea of how to get around this issue (other than exporting all applications and manually researching if they require Java or not or digging through countless technical design briefs). If Snow were able to in some way link application prerequisites or dependencies I think that would be extremely useful that would extend beyond this Java issue.

So, what are people doing about this? I'd love to hear whether A. People were actually aware of this in the first place, B. if you plan to do anything about it and C. If so, what? As well as any thoughts from Snow.

Outcomes