T.Howland

Non-persistent Cloud instances

Discussion created by T.Howland Advocate on Sep 14, 2018
Latest reply on Oct 17, 2018 by ennorab

Fellow Snow men & women,

I am looking for some guidance/advice and ideas on how to address the current/emerging issue of auto-scaling and non-persistent cloud instances.

In my current scenario, we utilise AWS predominately; however, I am pretty certain this issue will extend to other cloud services, such as: Azure, Google Cloud, Alibaba Cloud, etc.

We have instances that are frequently scaled up and down on a daily basis for testing, patching, stress tests etc. (i.e. auto-scaling and non-persistent/regenerating instances). This process can cause the number of instances within SLM to range from (in our scenario) 12,000 to 35,000 instances in a single day.

Now as you can ultimately see this would over-inflate the software deployment/usage, which includes SLM failing to see the real compliance picture. In addition to this because of the auto-scaling challenge the 'real-time' view of these instances wouldn't be captured i.e. it would take up to 30 days for SLM to recognise that the instances weren't actually present anymore.

I welcome any feedback, suggestions, ideas, contributions to this challenge (to understand the scale of impact on other organisations) and guidance/advice on how everyone else is currently managing this issue.

Thanks in advance!!!

Your fellow Snowman

Outcomes