pavi.gehlot

Delivering Success via Automation Platform

Discussion created by pavi.gehlot on Sep 26, 2018

Automation can save organisations multiple hours, cost savings and efficiencies over the course of days, months and years. This article’s focus is on setting up for success when delivering an Automation Platform Project.

Understanding the customers desire:

In a sales cycle it’s easy to get carried away with the art of the possible and the possible numbers that can be saved. During delivery, the first step is to dive deep into the detail with all critical stakeholders. The delivery team should understand the relevant types of stakeholders that should be informed during a project:

•       The “techy guys” – These are the teams that will help scope with the Partner and Snow “how” the solution will integrate “making the magic happen”.
  •       The “managers” – These are the people that will ensure successful running of the project and communication. The importance of communication of progress and resolution of issues can ensure that these issues can be dealt with as a joint team. The vision is always to provide successful outcomes.
  •       The “project sponsor” – This person or people are very important, they have forked out the money and require outcomes and results to prove they have invested well.

It’s important when running projects such as the Automation Platform project that all these stakeholders are kept informed and consulted.

Design, Design, Design!

Without a solid agreed design, the progression of the project and agreement of firm timelines cannot be achieved. When dealing with “the let’s get this done scenario”, a few days to weeks spent on finalising the design can save weeks and months in delivery delays. The old adage of fail to plan…. I won’t go on, but you get the point.

Implementation & Testing:

With numerous methodologies for managing projects, it’s easy to jump from fad to fad. However, I’ve always found working closely with a customer will leave no late surprises. During the implementation and testing phase, I whole heartily support the open/honest conversations and demos with the customer. This builds a greater level of trust and transparency between all organisations and helps overcome hurdles with pragmatism.

Governance:

The level of project management can vary from engagement to engagement but if we focus on the Enterprise and Blue-chip customers, great care must be taken to ensure the correct boards and structures are in place. This brings me to my earlier point of communications being a key factor in the success of any project deliver.

To summarise, the early phases of sales to project handover are key. The project team must get a handle of the customer requirements as a matter of urgency. The partner teams and Snow must strive to provide excellence by maintaining a close understanding of the customers’ requirements and being open and honest. Finally, communication is a key part of the puzzle for successful delivery.

Outcomes