EE

Snow can't detect Apps licensed under Bundles if using MS OCT

Discussion created by EE on Nov 29, 2018
Latest reply on Jan 18, 2019 by johan.werner2

Early on we were alerted in Snow of non-compliance with Office applications being deployed as standalone applications instead of via the Office bundle we have purchased. Our Packaging team have investigated this and found from a packaging side, the Access 2010 package within SCCM is part of the Office 2010 ProPlus package, but because our company users to gain approval prior to installing MS Access it was configured to be installed as an individual component – not with the rest of the office suite. This was done using the Office Customisation Toolkit (OCT) as per the KB https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg490647.aspx
The Office Setup is configured to ONLY install MS Access, using the MSP file created by the OCT.
This configures MS Access to use our internal KMS licensing server to obtain its license. And the MS Access Source files are part of the Office ProPlus Source Files, Including MS Access.

Has anyone else experienced this or had problems getting Snow to recognise applications as compliant that has been modified using the OCT?

I've raised a call regarding this and the final response has been "Because the packager has been alternated, we are not able to handle this on a global level, hence it will affect all our other customers. We base most of our recognition on vendor standard packaging, when you change this, it will most likely not be possible to create a global solution for it.
One solution could be that the customer adds more bundle licenses and manually downgrade to Access. Or they can add licenses to Access and write a note that explains the local manual solution."

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this problem following use of the MS OCT to un-bundle MS Products.

I remember being shown a Bundles setting within the SMACC that contained files that would identify an application as part of a bundle, I hope the addition of the .msp file created from the OCT to that list might correct the non-compliance status.

Outcomes