Automatic imports can be configured within the Web Configurator application to update existing applications, computers and users. If a customer would like to report on additional information from 3rd party tools, this can be imported into Snow via a .csv file, .xlsx file, etc…
It can also be used to link users with Office 365 by importing the e-mail address from Active Directory against the specific user.
We recommend reviewing the Data Import Field Description for Snow License Manager. This document highlights the successful format for mappings during the import process. It is located in the "Help" section of the SLM portal.
The below example highlights the process involved when configuring automatic imports for existing computers. In this scenario, we will be importing against custom fields created within SLM.
1) In Snow License Manager UI, go to Home > Administration > Custom fields. Create a custom field for the category type Computer/Mobile device. Please see the example below:
2) Remote to the SLM application server where the Web Configurator is installed and launch the application from the Start menu.
3) Navigate to the Import Service tab and select “Add” to create a new Import Folder for computer imports. In the Import Root folder (%:\Program Files\Snow Software\Snow License Manager\Services\ImportTool\DataImport\Import) create a new subfolder for your automatic imports against existing Computers.
The customer will always show as “Demo” in an on-premise environment. The “Type” field will need to match what you’re importing against.
Specify your import file format and whether it has headers.
4) In the Field Mapping tab, this will show the available fields to import against. This will highlight the required identifier (in this case it’s Computer name or Bios serial number). It will also show you the custom field(s) created in SLM.
Place the extracted .csv/.xlsx file from your 3rd party tool into the sub folder created in step 3. Providing the headers in the import file match the target headers in Snow, you can use the Auto map from file option for the mapping to be completed automatically. Please see the example below.
After using the Auto map from file option:
Select OK and then Apply to save your changes.
5) Within 60 seconds the file will be imported into SLM. Please note that the import time will take considerably longer for larger amounts of data.
The import file will disappear from the sub folder created previously. Any errors with rows of data will be flagged in the following directory: C:\Program Files\Snow Software\Snow License Manager\Services\ImportTool\DataImport
If the process has been successful, data will now be available in the relevant report depending on what you’ve imported against. The below shows the "All computers" report.
6) Finally, create a script to extract the required data from the 3rd party tool of choice to have it automatically placed into the import folder created in step 3.