AnsweredAssumed Answered

Query around SQL Server Hyperthreading

Question asked by harry.mansell Advocate on Sep 20, 2017
Latest reply on Oct 10, 2017 by angelique.borsboom

Hello,

Was just wondering if any of you have had any experience with the following situations that i find myself in around SQL..

The problem I'm faced with is that our SQL servers are Virtual Machines so have a Virtual OSE, say for example we have "VM1" which has 4 Virtual Cores using the Per Core model i would need 2 core packs which would cover them...

Now we have hyper threading turned on so according to Microsoft this changes the requirement slightly so taking our "VM1" which has 4 VC if it is using 2 hardware threads then this will mean that the license requirement goes from 2 Core packs to being 3 Core packs..the extra 2 cores covering the two hardware threads which are providing the power to the 4 VC on "VM1"...

Common sense to me says that "VM1" which has been allocated 4 Virtual Cores at the setup stage to the Virtual Machine creation...will only ever have 4 VC at any time unless it is manually changed. So whether the VM has hyper-threading switched on or off will never change the fact that the VM will always have 4 VC.. 

Just wondered if any of you guys have come across a similar conundrum.

Any help would be appreciated!

Kind Regards,

Harry

Outcomes